During your hunt, your outfitter will typically take care of transporting any birds or big game harvested. So, in the interest of getting to the important stuff, we’ve left out regulations regarding transportation of game within the province and focused on what you need to do to transport game meat and trophies home. The following is adapted from the Saskatchewan Hunters’ and Trappers’ Guide.

Saskatchewan Hunters’ and Trappers’ Guide

Exporting Fish, Game Birds or Big Game Meat

It’s the end of a successful hunt, and you’re preparing to take back the fish, birds or animals you harvested. Border officials on both sides have the authority to inspect and confiscate any trophies or meat not transported properly. The following are standard regulations you need to meet. For a complete list of regulations, click this link: transporting and exporting game.

  • Your fishing or hunting license is your permit to transfer your game meat with you.
  • Your possession limit (see Saskatchewan Hunters’ and Trappers’ Guide for limits per species) is also the limit of fish, birds or big game you can export from Saskatchewan.
  • If you’re travelling by commercial air, check your airline regarding their requirements for packaging of game/meat.


General limits apply to most Saskatchewan public waters. Special limits are in effect on specific waters. Some waters also have what is known as “slot limits.” Your outfitter/fishing lodge will be able to tell you if any special limits apply.

The limit refers to the maximum number of fish you are allowed to retain or have in your possession. Anglers may possess no more than one limit of each fish species at any time. The limit is not cumulative from day to day. This includes fish that are eaten or given away, as well as all fish at your camp, being transported by or for you, or fish in storage.

  • When transporting fish, border officials must be able to determine the species, number and length cannot be determined. There are three methods for packaging fish for transport:
    • Whole: Head and entrails intact. Can be easily counted and identified.
    • Headless Dressed: Head and entrails removed. Can be easily counted and identified.
    • Fillets: At least 2.5 cm (1 inch) patch of skin and scales intact on body. Only two fillets per package. Can be easily counted and identified.
  • Live fish may not be transported.

General Saskatchewan Fish Limits:

Species Limit Note
Arctic Grayling 2 (only one may exceed 35 cm)
Bigmouth Buffalo 0
Burbot 8
Channel Catfish 2
Goldeye/Mooneye 8
Lake Trout 3 (only one may exceed 65 cm)
Largemouth Bass 2
Northern Pike 5 (only one may exceed 75 cm)
Perch 25
Rock Bass 6
Stocked Trout* 5 (all species combined)
Smallmouth Bass 0
Sturgeon 0
Walleye/Sauger/Saugeye 4 (only one may exceed 55 cm)
Whitefish 8

*Stocked trout is total of all species, including brook, brown, rainbow, splake and tiger trout.

Click to Learn How to Measure a Fish

Game Birds

  • Your game bird license and your game bird hunting ledger are your permit to export legal limits of game birds, providing you accompany them in transit. The ledger should indicate the date and quantity of birds harvested.
  • Only transport or ship migratory birds that belong to yourself into the U.S.
  • At least one fully feathered wing needs to be attached to the bird. Obviously, if you are planning to have the bird mounted, you will be transporting the whole bird. In this case, we recommend one bird per plastic bag.
  • All game birds must be packaged in a manner that permits the number and species to be readily determined; no bulk packaging or bulk freezing is allowed. This applies to transportation as well as possession, unless the meat is going to be immediately cooked/consumed.

Big Game

  • An export permit is not needed if the hunting license holder (that’s you) travels with the game.
  • Any shipment of wildlife/wildlife part within or outside the province must include the sender’s (again, that’s you, the hunter) name, address, hunting license or permit number and contents on the outside of the package. Check with your airline regarding packaging requirements for big game meat and trophies.

Shipments to Follow

In many cases, especially for whitetail deer or moose hunting, there may be a delay in processing the meat. These parts may be sent to the hunter at a later date from the outfitter or the butcher.

  • Any wildlife or wildlife parts not accompanying the licensed hunter require an export permit to be taken out of the province. Permits are available from the Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment offices.
  • You will need the Wildlife Import/Export Permit Application Form

Wildlife Import/Export Permit Application Form

Find an Outfitter