If you’re travelling to Saskatchewan to hunt, you’re permitted to bring your hunting guns and a supply of ammunition across the border—as long as you have the proper paperwork.

Doing Your Paperwork

The best advice regarding transporting your firearms into Saskatchewan for hunting is to get your documentation in place at least two months prior to your arrival date.

Crossing the Border

If you’re 18 years of age or older and wish to bring your own firearms across the border for hunting, the proper form to fill out is the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration.

Get it here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf

Hunting with Minors

To legally bring firearms into Canada, you must be 18 years of age or older. If you have younger hunters travelling with you, their guns must be declared by an adult. All hunters under the age of 18 must have a minor’s firearm license.

Applications can be obtained by calling the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000.

Borrowing Firearms

If you’ve made arrangements with your outfitter to borrow a firearm for your hunt, we have a form for that, too. It’s called the Non-Resident Temporary Borrowing Licence for Non-Restricted Firearms.

Download it here: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/3627/original/69c2f5937bb23c820eeed5ce4929c701.pdf.

Note: You must submit your application for a Non-Resident Temporary Borrowing Licence for Non-Restricted Firearms ahead of time to the Chief Firearms Officer for Saskatchewan for approval. This process can be delayed if incorrect or incomplete information is provided so complete the form carefully.

The volume of applications tends to increase just prior to hunting season. Plan head to avoid last-minute delays— submit your forms at least two months in advance of your hunting trip (sooner if possible):

Chief Firearms Officer (for Saskatchewan)
Room 310, 1783 Hamilton Street
Regina, SK, Canada S4P 2B6
Fax: 306-780-7400

Transporting Your Firearms

When crossing the border (or at anytime while transporting your firearms), your firearms must be unloaded, encased and locked in either a lockable hard cover gun case or with trigger locks attached.


You may bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition into Saskatchewan for the purpose of hunting. Note that this is 200 total rounds of ammunition and not 200 rounds per gun. To purchase ammunition while in Canada, you’ll need to show your completed Firearms Declaration Form.

Firearm Classifications in Canada

In Canada, firearms are classified into 3 types: Non-restricted, Restricted and Prohibited. Most hunting firearms are included in the Non-restricted category; handguns fall into the Restricted category. For more information on firearm classifications, check out Classes of Firearms on the Firearms page of the RCMP website.

Do not attempt to bring any restricted or prohibited firearms into Saskatchewan on your hunting trip. Customs and border officials have the authority to confiscate and destroy these weapons.

Attention waterfowl hunters bringing shotguns into Saskatchewan: The maximum number of shotgun shells your magazine can accommodate is 3. Ensure you have the magazine plug in place when crossing the border and at all times when hunting.


In many American states, concealed carry handguns are allowed, but you will need to leave them behind. Saskatchewan does not allow concealed carry firearms. Handguns in Canada fall into “restricted” classification, which means there are additional regulations regarding their acquisition, use and transport.

For complete information on Canadian firearms laws, visit the Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC) website at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms.

Find an Outfitter